City of DeSoto Residential Assistance Program
Program Purpose: The City of DeSoto Residential Assistance Program is a temporary grant program designed to provide financial assistance to eligible applicants for the payment of rent, mortgage, utility bills (not City of DeSoto provided utilities), and childcare costs.
Preapplication Dates: The pre-application will open on August 24, 2020 and close on September 14, 2020.
Link to the Pre-Application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DeSotoResidential
Funding: Over $1,500,000 million of Coronavirus Relief Fund funding (as provided by the CARES Act)
Type of assistance: Grant.
Payments will be made directly to the landlord, mortgage company, childcare provider, and/or utility company.
Maximum COMBINED rental/mortgage/utility assistance & childcare grant amount per household: $8000
• Maximum rental/mortgage/utility assistance grant amount per household: $6000
• Maximum childcare assistance grant amount per household: $3600
Maximum grant calculation: 3 months of rent/mortgage/utilities/childcare expenses or $8000, whichever is less.
Maximum household income:
|Family Size||Maximum Income|
Household income calculation: Includes total monthly wages, salaries/tips and other income such as: alimony, child support, Social Security, SSI, TANF, unemployment, pension, retirement, disability, special pay & allowances of a member of the Armed Forces, or other benefits. Savings capped at $25,000. Assets not taken into account.
Other eligibility requirements:
• Applicant must be resident of the City of DeSoto.
• Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident.
• Applicant must demonstrate that the household experienced financial hardship due to COVID-19.
• Applicant may not be delinquent in the payment of Dallas County taxes; currently be in a lawsuit with the city; be an elected official of the city or a city employee; or have a relationship with the City of DeSoto that constitutes a conflict of interest. (Note: Volunteer members of a city board or commission are eligible)
• Housing vouchers holders not eligible for rental and utility assistance.
• Lease or mortgage payments to a family member are not eligible expenses.
• Applicants are not eligible for childcare assistance if the childcare provider is not licensed.
Income (one of the following must be submitted for every adult member of the household)
• February and August checking and savings bank statements (highlight wages/income), OR
• February and August pay stubs, OR
• Written explanation (if no income or self-employed with cash income not deposited in bank account), OR
• Proof that income has been verified by an approved organization
• August savings account statement for each adult in the household
• Certification of Savings Amount (if no savings or saving not kept in savings account)
• 2019 personal income tax return, OR
• Certification of household size
• August bills
• Mortgage statement (if applying for mortgage assistance)
Financial Impact Due to COVID-19
• Employer-generated notice of termination, furlough, or reduction in hours, OR
• Certification of economic impact (if self-employed)
• Primary Applicant: Birth certificate, passport, certification of citizenship/naturalization, or alien registration card
• Other adults in the household: Texas driver’s license or other government-issued identification
• Children: SSN cards, birth certificates, or SNAP/TANF award letter
Applicant’s Address (Applicant must submit one of the following documents with address that matches primary residential address)
• Texas driver’s license, OR
• Other government-issued identification, OR
• Unexpired voter registration card OR
• Utility bill
Other Required Documents that Applicant Must Submit
• Signed W-9 (Download here: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-w-9)
• Certification from parent regarding necessity of childcare (if applying for childcare grant)
• Signed agreement to participate including authorization for landlord/childcare provider to release information
Documents to be Provided by Landlord
• Signed lease
• August rental/mortgage invoice (including any past due amounts)
• Signed agreement to participate including bank account info and agreement to not evict/charge late fees/interest
Documents to be Provided by Childcare Provider
• TDFPS license number
• Most recent childcare invoice with child(ren)’s full names (including any past due amounts)
• Signed agreement to participate including bank account information and agreement not to terminate childcare services due to past-due childcare invoice
Status of program: The pre-application will open on August 24, 2020 and will close on September 14, 2020.
DeSoto Residential Assistance Program Instructional Video – Part 2